The 2019 NFL Draft is upon us. That’s right, 3 days of anticipation, excitement, and sheer bewilderment will be plastered on every sports channel at all hours of the day. And to help the everyday football fan get through the highs and lows, we at The Tailgating Spot have put together an NFL Draft Day Drinking Game for 2019.
Every year, hundreds of thousands of football fans gather around their TVs, host viewing parties, or travel to see the draft happen in person. Back in the day, it used to be a pretty uneventful affair. But in today’s digital age, there is so much added fanfare and as much hype as the Super Bowl. Everything you ever wanted to know about a draft prospect is available to see. These athlete’s entire lives are scrutinized by anybody from news pundits, to former NFL stars, and guys who never played a snap in their life. Even though the first meaningful rep is months away, the draft is the signal that football is that much closer to starting up again.
Sometimes, it can be a bit of an information overload. But to help enhance your draft watch fun and to help keep the event entertaining, here are some rules for this year’s NFL Draft Day Drinking Game. As always, if you choose to partake in the drinking game, make sure you plan ahead to be safe, drink responsibly, and don’t drive. Additionally, if you’re looking for new drink ideas that are team specific I wrote a post that lists drink recipes for all 32 NFL teams.
Take 1 Drink
- Each time someone says the words “Mock”, “Big Board”, “War Room”, or “Draft Central”
- Whenever Roger Goodell is booed
- A player says that “he’s blessed” during an interview
- Anytime someone says “It’s a Quarterback driven league”
- Someone’s troubled past gets brought up
- A team’s fan base is shown cheering
- A player’s “football IQ” is praised
Take 2 Drinks
- Anyone mentions how someone did on the Wonderlic test
- Someone brings up the Robert Kraft situation
- The Cleveland Browns’ draft history is mentioned
- Mel Kiper ferociously insults a team’s pick.
- An announcer describes a guy as a “workhorse”
- Every time someone mentions “pro style” or “read-option” offenses
- If a player kisses his mom
Take 3 Drinks
- If a trade changes the overall draft order
- If 5 quarterbacks are taken in the first 10 picks
- Roger Goodell mispronounces a name
- Someone trips onstage
- Mel Kiper praises a player for his “intangibles” or “instincts”
- When a high school highlight reel is played for a player
- If the player is wearing an outlandish suit
Take a Shot
- If a newly drafted player refuses to shake Roger Goodell’s hand
- If they show video of a Bills fan going through a table
- Someone references Johnny Manziel, Tim Tebow, or JaMarcus Russell
- A team fails to make its pick in the allotted time
- If a player cries when he is drafted
- If you still don’t think your team will make the playoffs by the end of the draft
Alas, should you need some new team inspired drink ware for the upcoming season, check out the wide variety of options that Fanatics has to offer.
If you like what we do here at The Tailgating Spot and would like to support us, you can help us out by shopping through our link to Fanatics. If you make a purchase after you click our link, they will share a part of that sale with us.
There you have it, our rules for the 2019 NFL Draft Day Drinking Game. And one more reminder if it isn't totally obvious: be safe, be smart, and have fun!